Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My new tummy = my new life

Well the past day and a half have been...well, interesting.  Since surgery there have been many times when my mind has been hungry, not so much my body but in the past it has always been my mind that speaks the loudest, complains the most, and ultimately gets its way.

For those of you that don't know, I live in the Valley of the Sun, aka Phoenix, AZ, aka the face of the sun!!  For the most part we love living in Phoenix, we love the unique beauty that is the Sonoran Desert. BUT we also love air conditioning...a LOT.  Yesterday it decided not to work, that proved to be a bit of an issue as the temps yesterday were at 106.  Fortunately we found a kind, wonderful, compassionate man that came out and checked things out and this morning he returned with parts to get us up and running again.

The inside temps were never over 85 which was tolerable unless you did anything, like well, breathing or stuff like that! As soon as the repairman left I headed off, with my daughter to run our errands, I do believe that the traffic light gods were conspiring against me as I hit EVERY light for the first 13 miles of my trip, there were at least 25 lights, where the engine was idling and the sun was burning.  The car a/c just could not keep up,  then in keeping with my day, I got lost.

So I am sitting in my hot car, irritated, under severe time constraints (had to pick someone up from the airport), itching beyond explanation (still have my post op rash a reaction to the tape used to close my incision), thirsty and lost, when my low gas light comes on...really?! Well there is one thing you NEVER want to do while in Phoenix in the summer...that is to run out of gas.  So off we go in search of a station, accidentally run across the very place we were searching for in the first place, and eventually get to a station for some much needed fuel.

I get out and pump gas while my daughter goes in the convenience store searching for anything that can safely go into our newly shaped tummies.  She comes back unsuccessful but at least cooler than she was and we head off to finish errands.  We rode about 40 feet and the light turns yellow. I look to her and we both start to laugh, this can't be real today.

We get a bit more serious and I told her that THIS is why I wanted this surgery, if ever there was a day that I would "cheat" on a diet it would have been today.  I was upset, unsettled, lost, hot, itching, irritated, and HUNGRY...the perfect storm of dieting doom.  Today my tummy talked, and I listened, perhaps I did not want to listen, but it was louder than before or maybe I have changed my hearing, the only difference is that it spoke a different language, one that until now has been foreign to me. It spoke and said, perhaps in the tiniest whisper, "I am fine, I don't need anything right now."

Words can't express how grateful that I am for the opportunity to get a grip on my eating, certainly there is always the wish that this could be accomplished with exercise and diet, that was not to be.  This path was right for me...today I was grateful for a bad day, a really bad day...it reminded me why this is the journey I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment