Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day to day doldrums

I have come here to post a few times over the past week and left with nothing to say. Those of you that know me, know that I seldom at loss for words.  Guess there just hasn't been anything, "news worthy" lately.  I could tell you all about how my puppy got spayed last week...poor baby, or how my daughter is enjoying college life, my sons caught an alligator (shudder to think!) or how my hubby has been busy working longer than normal hours on night shift.  But these things all put together just reflect another day, another week, another month, none so very different from the ones before.  The things in life that as we go through them seem big but then fade into the background that is life itself.

We are seldom defined by the big things it is the humdrum of life that better defines who we are.  My daughter and I were speaking last weekend when she came to visit how dramatically my life has changed.  When the children were little, it changed in an instant, someone tripped and broke a bone, a school project long forgotten was due in the morning, a heart was broken, feelings hurt...all things that needed an instant response by mom and I was always at the wheel to steer them to calmer waters.

Now my life is defined in a slower more deliberate way.  Still there are those moments that require instant  response but they are further and farther between.  Where then does a mother go when she is no longer defined as a mother?  Shifting gears is a slow and confusing process.  In it's wake I will take more time to see the world around me.  Volunteer more, reflect more, nurture myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment